Hey so I’ve worked at a gym for years and I’ve seen some weird stuff happen.
People walk in empty handed in jeans and boots and expect to be able to lift weights and make progress.
Of course I had to say some variation of “hey I can’t let you workout in that” because it’s against the policy.
Don’t be this person.
Today, I’m going to share the top 7 things you need to bring with you to the gym to have your best workouts ever.
1. Water Bottle – Hydration is essential for a great workout and health in general. Always bring half a liter at the very least, but a whole liter is better.
2. Flat And Stable Shoes – No matter how cool they look, fancy gym shoes with curves and padding aren’t your best bet. Chuck Taylors, some Vans, or weightlifting shoes are much more stable for serious lifting.
3. Stopwatch or Smartphone – You need some way to time your rest periods to keep your workouts efficient. You can use the clock at the gym, a stopwatch, or your smartphone. No need to spend 2 hours at the gym, and this will help a ton.
4. Notebook or Smartphone – Logging your workouts will help you make more progress than ever before. Instead of trying to remember what happened last time, bring a notebook or smartphone app to write down your workouts to track progress.
5. Proper Attire – Like I said in the beginning, don’t be that person to wear boots and jeans. Get some stable shoes, shorts or sweatpants, and a t-shirt. This is not a fashion contest, so wear something comfy and functional.
6. A Lock – As nice as it would be to imagine a world without thieves, bring a lock to keep your valuables safe in a locker. Also, don’t bring your Rolex to the gym.
7. Clean Gym Bag – You gotta have a place to put your gym stuff to stay organized, but also don’t leave old clothes in there for months at a time. Keep it clean so you’re happy to pick it up and crush it at the gym.
You might be surprised that I don’t recommend bringing music, a belt, wrist wraps, knee wraps, ankle wraps, protein, preworkout, or a chicken dinner (hey, good food is good!) to the gym.
The truth is all that stuff is more based on individual needs and definitely aren’t necessary for everyone to have awesome workouts.
What are your gym essentials? Let me know!
And if you’re in need of that extra help to reach your goals, sign up for my free fitness ebook here: